If you’ve ever heard your grandparents or other elderly relatives talking about their relationships, you might have heard a few stories that had you more than a little bit confused. There are certainly traditions that have gone to the wayside since our grandparents were young, but some of these traditions, especially those regarding dating, are still habits you should use in your dating life, today.
There are all sorts of habits that should stay in the past, but here are 20 old-fashioned dating habits we hope will make a comeback in your life today. Which of these might you try out?
1) Actually, asking for a date. These days it seems like everyone is content to just hang out, watch Netflix, and keep things casual. This isn’t a bad thing necessarily, but it does take some of the specialness out of going on a real date. If you like someone, ask them on a date, not only will this help them to know that you like them, it will also make them feel special.
2) Be on time. Part of the casual dating culture is that everything is relaxed, including your timing. If you really want to show someone that you care about them, be where you’re supposed to be when you said you’d be there. You can even leave early and stop and pick up some flowers on the way.
3) Date in a group. Studies show that we feel closer to our romantic partner when we’re able to show them off to a group of friends. Whether it’s a double date or a bigger event, show your special someone off to those you care about!
4) Walk each other places. It’s too easy to pull up to the curb, honk your horn, or send a quick ‘here’ text. To make your partner feel special, actually get out of your car, walk to their door, and escort them on your date. They’ll feel appreciated when you show them that they are worth your time and in return, they will show you how appreciated you are!
5) Dress to impress. It’s always important to be comfortable around a potential romantic partner, but you also don’t want to give off the impression that you are a slob. Put a little effort into your appearance when you go out together. Not only will your potential partner feel proud to have you around, but your look will also keep them attracted and attentive to you the whole night!
6) Keep your phone in your pocket. There’s nothing worse than sitting across the table from someone who can’t keep their eyes off their screen. When you stay connected to your phone to the point where you cannot pay attention to your date, chances are that you will not have a second one.
7) Say thank you. If you had a good time on your date, call them and tell them. Phone calls are rapidly becoming a thing of the past because of texting and social media, but hearing the voice of someone you are excited about can be thrilling.
8) Be honest and up front. No one likes to be confused after a date. If you’d like to go out with them again, make that clear. On the other hand, if you don’t see a future with that person, don’t string them along, either.
9) Walk them home. Do not just drop your date off at the curb but get out and walk them to the door. They will appreciate your gesture and they will know that you had fun going out. This can be the perfect end to your date night.
10) Grab a hand. Holding hands is an affectionate and kind way of telling someone that you enjoy spending time with them. Holding hands is a way that you can show your potential partner that you like being seen with them.
11) Don’t rush things. We tend to throw ourselves into new relationships, especially on the physical side of things. However, there is something to be said about taking it slow and getting to know each other. By taking it slow, you are showing that person that you have respect for them and that you want to really be connected before you take the date any further.
12) Don’t be afraid to say sorry. We all trip over our words and make a fool out of ourselves sometimes. Don’t be afraid to apologize to your partner when you’ve done or said something wrong.
13) Don’t bring up heavy topics early on in the relationship. Things should stay fun and light until you both get to know each other. Always keep the conversation respectful and know when to change the subject if the conversation gets too touchy.
14) Don’t party too hard. Drunk and sloppy rarely makes a great impression on the person you are trying to impress. Practice moderation. Have fun but be smart!
15) Woo your partner. Treat your man like a gentleman and treat your woman like a lady. We all deserve love, respect, and appreciation from our partners and the more respect you show, the more respect you will get in return.
16) Invest in their family and friends. You might not get along with everyone in their life, but you need to make an effort. These people are in your partner’s life for good, so strive to make the right impression.
17) Give a little. It might mean swallowing your pride, but you need to stand out from the other people they’ve dated before. Be the person they compare others to by being polite, kind, and honest above all.
18) Give compliments freely. Don’t say things you don’t mean but compliment your partner regularly. We all like to hear nice things about ourselves. Point out their smile or how nice their eyes look. You are sure to get compliments back!
19) Don’t double time anyone. The dating culture makes people think that they should date multiple partners at once. This can be distracting and keeps you from really investing in a relationship that could go somewhere. If you like the person you are dating, go on more than one date before you decide to try a different relationship. Doing this shows respect and can help you to find the perfect partner.
20) Get to know them. Don’t just talk about yourself the whole time you’re together but find out more about them. Who knows, you just might learn that you have more in common with them than you even thought, and you might find that you have many of the same hobbies that you can try out together.
Dating can be hard, but there are ways to impress your new special someone and move things along smoothly. If you want to impress your potential partner, try to bring back some of these old-fashioned dating ideas and see how far it gets you!